Homelessness – A Psychological Trauma; How Can Primrose Help to Cope with This Trauma?
Losing one’s home is a traumatic event that can potentially cause many psychological problems such as depression, insomnia, anxiety, substance abuse, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
According to the U.S Department of Housing and Urban Development, around 45% of homeless people living in the United States have any mental illness.
Considering the wide negative impacts of homelessness on mental health, it is essential to take psychologists’ help in coping with the situation. Community-based mental health services play a vital role in mitigating these impacts and fostering a supportive environment to preserve and promote the mental health of homeless people.
How can homelessness develop mental illnesses?
Homelessness itself is a risk factor for developing many psychological issues. The reasons behind this cascade include the following:
- Homelessness produces a persistent feeling of social exclusion among homeless people. They consider themselves detached from society.
- Homelessness engraves the fears of being different from others. This, in turn, produces hostility towards society.
- Social disaffiliation is another negative impact of homelessness. It results in less sharing of intrusive/inner thoughts because of limited social circle.
- Less access to community resources and lack of natural supports also lead to mental illnesses in homeless people because these resources help maintain good mental health.
Besides these, many other factors, such as fear of being ignored and financial instability, also distort the mental health of homeless individuals.
How can Primrose help?
Primrose has a well-trained team of mental health professionals and a wide range of services that can assist in coping with the mental trauma associated with homelessness.
How do Primrose’s psychologists assist?
Mental health professionals at Primrose help preserve the mental health of homeless people through different psychotherapeutic techniques and counseling. Overall, they work to ensure the self-respect and social inclusion of homeless people. For this purpose, they also organize group therapies directed towards the self-esteem of homeless people.
Moreover, counseling sessions at Primrose help homeless people to share inner thoughts, overcome negative past events, and mitigate the stress.
Which services does Primrose provide to cope with homelessness?
Primrose has specified many mental health services for homeless people. Some of the most distinguished services include the following,
- Supervised Living.
- Assisted Living.
- Counseling services by licensed mental health professionals.
- Peer support and group therapies.
- Substance use disorder services.
- Flexible funds.
Moreover, Primrose also provides employment services that can enable financial stability among homeless people. Using these financial opportunities, homeless people can acquire social integration and financial independence.
If you have any questions or need any assistance, contact us or visit us any time.